I’m not vegan (yet) but as someone who is lactose intolerant I definitely miss mac and cheese.
I’m trying out new recipes for all my favorite dishes and this is by far my favorite!
If you’re vegan or lactose intolerant like me I recommend this recipe. It obviously won’t taste like grandma’s but it is definitely delicious, yummy, cheesy, savory, and even nonvegans/cheese-lovers love it!!!
(If you’re wondering why this recipe has a sweet potato & potato in it, it adds to the texture and is not detectable at all – you can use butternut squash or carrots in place of the sweet potato if you’d like!)
Preheat oven to 350°
• 1 box of Macaroni noodles
• 1 stick of (Vegan) Butter
• Unsweetened Almond Milk
• Nutritional Yeast
• Daiya Vegan Chedder Cheese
• Vegan Mayo (yes, trust me!)
• 1 Red Potato & 1 Sweet Potato (optional)
• Dried Minced Onion
• Onion Powder
• Garlic Powder
• A1 Sauce
- Boil Macaroni noodles (add favorite seasonings to water for taste)
- Boil Potato and Sweet Potato
(with added Adobo seasoning in water)
- Assemble cheese sauce:
• Add 1 stick of butter to large pan on low heat.
• After the butter is halfway melted add about 1/4 cup of almond milk, 1 + 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast, small splash of A1 sauce, and 2 spoonfuls of vegan mayo.
• Add all seasonings listed above (as much as you’d like)
• Turn to medium-high heat and add about 6-7 slices of the daiya chedder cheese (can use shreds/cubes if on hand)
- Blend the boil potato and sweet potato, 1 spoonful of vegan mayo, and about 1/3 cup of the boiled water
- Add the potato blend to cheese sauce
- Add noodles to sauce
(You can stop here or keep going for baked mac)
- Top with paprika and some thin slices of butter
- Place into over if you’d like for 10-15 minutes!